Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fantasy Football Running Diary Pt 2

The roller-coaster of emotions I experienced in my first week of fantasy football was only preparation for even higher highs and lower lows over weeks 2 and 3. It has been like a movie script where just when you think it is a happy go lucky movie BOOM, surprise serial killer out of nowhere. Let me explain.

After my tight loss in one pool and a sizeable win in another I felt pretty confident going into week 2. I had earned the respect of my peers for a valiant first week effort. Line-ups were set pretty early in the week, and I felt things were going well. Few last minute tweaks (which turned out to be smart moves) and I headed into Sunday ready for battle.

Sunday morning in Week 2 was awful. after the first wave of games I was looking OK in both pools but not optimistic. Patience is key my friend. Slowly I watched my teams absolutely EXPLODE in the late games. In one pool I had long cleared my opponent and in the other, despite being behind on the scoreboard, needed a measly TD from any one of the 3 guys I had playing to secure a win. I got more than enough. I finish with the highest point total in one pool and the second highest in another.

So after 2 weeks I haven't finished outside the top 4 in point totals in either pool, and looking at some detailed stats, I am considered the best "coach" (left the fewest points on the bench) in one. Wow, this fantasy football stuff is easy. I am dominating. I am a force. I am UNTOUCHABLE!!

Inflated ego? You bet I had it. Cocky attitude? I was top dog, why wouldn't I be cocky. I'm on top of the world.

Prepping for Week 3 wasn't too hard. Some pretty easy decisions to make. Made a couple pick ups and drops of players that were under performing. Nothing serious though. And why would I want to make changes to my awesome roster anyways? I'm simply the best.

Well my top rated roster did not last long. In fact I never ONCE lead in either pool in Week 3. Never. Didn't even get a sniff of a possible victory. How bad was it? In one pool I finished with 45% of the score I had the week before. My point total dropped by HALF. The other fantasy team I have, I could have played my entire roster, 12 starters and 6 from my bench, and I still would have lost. Oh and that team was against fellow TEP writer Liam, the top point getter that week. Oh you know I won't hear the end of it.

Devastated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. It was so bad that I didn't even bother watching the late game Sunday or the Monday night game because at that point it was just rubbing my nose in it. (If I had watched the Packers get robbed live I guarantee I wouldn't have a working TV now so it was probably for the best).

To pull me out of my sobbing mess I made my first trade with fellow TEP writer Bik. He needed a WR I needed a RB so a quick swap of players made both of us happy. It was also probably the easiest fantasy trade I have ever made. Exact conversation


Bik: I want White and Tate and was going to give you Sproles and someone else. Who do you want?

Me: Maclin work?

Bik: Trade offer sent.

Who needs drugs when you can get the highs and lows of fantasy football. Seriously in 3 weeks I have lost by a fraction of a point, absolutely dominated both pools, and been utterly destroyed in both pools. Oh and remember my hate for Antonio Brown? Yup he was definitely against me in one of my pools last week. Come to think of it, Bik beat me with him in his line-up and Liam beat me with him in his line-up. Conspiracy theory? Or maybe I am just paranoid after being devastatingly beat down.

*Shakes fist at the sky "DAMN YOU BROWN!!!" starts sobbing*

No comments: