Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My First Year Fantasy Football Running Diary

After 4 or 5 years of fantasy hockey I decided it was time I branched out. Despite never winning a fantasy hockey league (three 2nd place finishes last year still hurts) I felt I needed to take the step to the next avenue of Fantasy sports. FANTASY FOOTBALL! So over the next couple months of the football season I will be taking you along for the journey with me, in my Fantasy Football Running Diary.

Now like any addiction I couldn't stop at just one pool. Nope I was definitely jumping into this head first partaking in two different pools. I did some reasearch heading into the first of the two drafts but was going to mainly play it safe and just draft players based on where the website we used for drafting ranked them. I did have a strategy based on what position I would draft in what round but kept it pretty loose.

My first draft went well. So well in fact that I was pegged as the best roster post-draft (according to someone in our pool who ranked all the teams). I got some great depth in RB and WR and felt pretty good about it.

The second draft was part of a league run by The Extra Period's very own Bik Nizzar. Now in typical Bik fashion we couldn't just draw names out of a hat for draft order. No. He also drew a number out of a hat. Your number was matched to a horse in a race out of Kentucky later that day. Where your horse finished is where you drafted. My horse "Look'nforthebeach" (which is now my fantasy team name) placed third and with that pick I snagged Tom Brady. Pretty stoked on that.

This team I feel is a little weaker but according to Bik's power rankings in that pool I had the second best team behind his.....yeah, even fishier when I tell you it was his horse that won the race for him to get first pick in the draft....

The first thing I learned about fantasy football is that Tuesday to Saturday is the most scrutinizing thing ever. You spend 5 days constantly second guessing what you did with your roster. It was painful. I found out later it gets worse.

I spent all day Sunday watching games I didn't care about but needed guys to do well in. I jumped out to early leads in both pools which was nice because it took some pressure off. In one pool I was up against Bik and pretty much all of my guys played in the morning while all of his in the afternoon. So I built this incredible lead only to watch it slowly shrink. Absolutely agonizing. But I went into the final game of the day up by 11ish points and Bik only had one guy left to play. Antonio Brown. Who is now my least favourite athlete.

Every time the ball was thrown his way I cringed. I pleaded at the TV for Roethlisberger and the Steelers to run the ball every play. Slowly my lead faded. 11 points. 7 points. 3 points...oh man, Brown cannot make another catch...

With under 2 minutes to go......he does it....and I lose....by .1 points!!!!

I was devestated. I put up the 4th highest point total for the week in that pool and I lost. To Bik. By a fraction of a point. Niether of us could believe it. So hats off to Bik for probably the most exciting fantasy sport day I have ever had in my life.

I snagged a win in my other pool but it wasn't nearly as exciting. So I exit week 1 of fantasy football with a 1-1 record between my two pools. I'll take it. I will update this every couple of weeks with how the year progresses. Hopefully no more fraction of a point losses. DAMN YOU BROWN *Shakes fist and starts sobbing*

No comments: